Monday, August 16, 2010

Review: Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins

Synopsis:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Review:
Before re-reading Catching Fire, I forgot how much I loved it! I do not know how she does it, but Suzanne Collins has done it again. It is as good if not better than the first book, The Hunger Games. This series is extremely addictive. I could not put done this book even though I have read it before and know what is going to happen. With all of the action, it is such an exciting book. No wonder it was a quick read.

Like the last book, the characters are just amazing! Katniss is the same as the last book: strong, independent, and capable. I just love her as a main character. Resulting from her actions in The Hunger Games, she unknowingly ignites the spark that ultimately starts uprisings and rebellions against the Capitol in many of the districts. Obviously, the Capitol is not too happy with Katniss and how she has become the poster child for rebellion.

There is a sort of love triangle between Peeta, Katniss, and Gale. Peeta is a genuinely good person who would do anything for Katniss. I loved him in the first book, but I love him even more in this book. He obviously loves Katniss, but with everything that is going on, she is not looking for romance. Gale, Katniss' long time friend, has a slightly larger role in this book. I really like Gale more than Peeta even though we do not get to see much of him. I feel like he is a better choice for Katniss in the end.

The only thing I did not like was the huge cliffhanger ending, but I still loved this book. I really want to know what happens! Luckily, I only have to wait 8 more days until Mockingjay comes out. I am so excited to read it!

Rating: 5/5

I am reviewing this book as a part of Dystopian August over at Presenting Lenore:


Swords are for fighting,

No comments:

Post a Comment