Monday, April 4, 2011

Review: Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

Synopsis:
Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City.

Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard.

Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector.

Daddy thought I’d be safe. He thought I’d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever.

Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin.

Daddy was wrong.


Review:
Overprotected is the second book I have read by Jennifer Laurens (A Season of Eden being the first), and I absolutely loved it! It had me hooked right from the beginning, and it was difficult to put down. The writing style had me absorbed in the book no matter what was happening.

Ashlyn is a seventeen year old girl that longs for freedom. Sure, her family is well off, but she has no freedom whatsoever. She was kidnapped as a young child, and ever since her father has had a bodyguard for her. This means that Ashlyn has absolutely no freedom to do what she wants and no freedom to experience life. All of her worldly experiences come from the romance novels she reads, so it is easy to see why she wants space.

After her bodyguard gets fired, her father hires Colin, a childhood friend of Ashlyn that used to bully her, as her new bodyguard. After Ashlyn gets to know the new Colin, sparks fly. Colin, being the gentleman that he is, tries to stay professional and ignore their chemistry. I enjoyed the forbidden romance aspect of this book. It definitely made the book exciting. Colin is such a sweetheart. I loved his personality and the way he cared for Ashlyn made him easy to love.

Ashlyn's father is way too overprotective. Thanks to him, everything about her life is planned out for her and controlled. He is definitely my least favorite character in this book. Ashlyn cannot even keep her friends if her father does not approve of them! I hated the way he treated Ashlyn.

Overprotected is a wonderful book. If you like teenage angst, you will definitely enjoy this story. I thought the story was adorably and heart-warming. I definitely enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading more books by Jennifer Laurens.

Also make sure to stop by on April 11th to see a guest post from Jennifer Laurens herself!

Rating: 4/5

Swords are for fighting,

No comments:

Post a Comment