Sunday, March 21, 2010

Review: Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Summary from Goodreads:
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

Review:
The first book in the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series, The Lightning Thief, was definitely a fun and easy read. Rick Riordan definitely came up with an interesting story line. I thought it was clever that demigods are dyslexic and have ADHD because they are programmed to read ancient Greek and fight. I liked the idea of the Greek gods being located in the western hemisphere. I thought it was clever how Riordan incorporated Greek gods into the modern world. I especially liked when he had the main characters visit places that I have been to (like the Gateway Arch, Vegas, and Los Angeles). The Lightning Thief is certainly a great start to a series. At times I was a little bored because I could not get into the story, but I will not give up on this series. If want something fun to read, then I definitely recommend it. I think that 8-12 year olds will enjoy it a great deal.


Rating: 3.5/5

Short review, but that is all I have to say...

Swords are for fighting,

6 comments:

  1. this is one of Gregory's favorite series. It's hard to find good stuff with great boy characters in the lead. I would say to keep with the series although he said the 2nd one was his least fav, so be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up Alyssa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not seriously believe I haven't read this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopped by on the hop! I loved the Lightning Thief. Hope to find time to read the rest. You have a new follower! Come see my blog at The Wormhole

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite series! First one is best, closely followed by the last one and the third one.
    You have an award
    http://potterpercyandi.blogspot.com/2010/03/over-top-award-and-few-other-things.html

    ReplyDelete