Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review: Stargazer by Claudia Gray

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The vampire in me was closer to the surface . . .

Evernight Academy: an exclusive boarding school for the most beautiful, dangerous students of all—vampires. Bianca, born to two vampires, has always been told her destiny is to become one of them.

But Bianca fell in love with Lucas—a vampire hunter sworn to destroy her kind. They were torn apart when his true identity was revealed, forcing him to flee the school.

Although they may be separated, Bianca and Lucas will not give each other up. She will risk anything for the chance to see him again, even if it means coming face-to-face with the vampire hunters of Black Cross—or deceiving the powerful vampires of Evernight. Bianca's secrets will force her to live a life of lies.

Yet Bianca isn't the only one keeping secrets. When Evernight is attacked by an evil force that seems to target her, she discovers the truth she thought she knew is only the beginning. . . .


Review:

Stargazer is the second book in the Evernight series (Evernight is the first one), and I thought it surpassed Evernight in so many ways. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Evernight, but I didn't think it was all that amazing. Stargazer, on the other hand, was great! I started reading it as soon as I bought it and didn't stop until I finished. I couldn't put it down!


I liked that there was more action in this book. There was never a dull moment with all of the plot twists. One of my favorite things about this book was adding the ghosts or wraiths to the story. I loved Claudia Gray's idea that vampires are the undead body while wraiths are the undead spirit. That was definitely clever.

My favorite part of Stargazer was that my favorite character from Evernight, Balthazar, is one of the main characters! Even though Bianca is head over heels in love with Lucas, I still think that Bianca should give Balthazar a real chance. He seems like a better choice for her since he is a vampire, and Bianca is destined to become a vampire herself. Lucas, on the other hand, is dead set against ever becoming a vampire, so I do not see how it will work out for these two lovebirds. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

In this book, I think that the characters have really grown, especially Bianca. She is not as naive as she seemed in Evernight. I like that she has started to question everything that she once thought held true. Even though Lucas and Bianca spend most of their time apart in this book, their relationship has definitely grown. Their love for one another reminds me of Romeo and Juliet because their love is essentially forbidden (even though Lucas' family doesn't know that Bianca is not human).

Like with most books in a series, the ending left me wanting more. That being said, I look forward to reading Hourglass and seeing where Claudia Gray takes these wonderful characters.


Rating: 4/5

Until next time!

Swords are for fighting,

1 comment:

  1. I loved the first 2 books of this series. Still gotta read the third though. I found you through the Blog Hop and I love your choice of books and the coloured writing. I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete