Sunday, March 28, 2010

Review: Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean by Justin Somper

Description from Goodreads:

Well, if pirates are bad, And vampires are worse, Then I pray that as long as I be That though I sing of Vampirates I never one shall see.Twins, Connor and Grace, never dreamed that there was any truth to the Vampirate shanty their father sang to them before he died, but that was before the two were shipwrecked and separated from each other.For Connor, who is taken aboard a pirate ship, there's the chance to learn to swordfight, but for Grace, aboard a mysterious ship of vampire pirates, the danger is great.The twins want more than anything to find each other, but their time is limited and they're an ocean apart.

Review:
The first installment in the Vampirates series was completely enjoyable. Vampires and Pirates are two of my favorite things, so putting them together was pure genius. It was a quick read that completely captured my attention. I loved the original storyline, and the shanty is definitely catchy. It has been floating around in my head for days now!


I found the main characters, Connor and Grace, to be lovable, and the bond that they share is sweet. I loved the mysteriousness of the Vampirate ship even while Grace was aboard it. I especially liked the vampirate, Lorcan because he genuinely cares about Grace, and I liked how he took it upon himself to protect her. The only down side is that I would have liked to learn more about the Vampirates and their mysterious captain, but maybe that will appear in future books. I have already started the second book in the series, Tide of Terror, and so far not much on the Vampirates side of things, but hopefully that will change soon.

Rating:4/5

Swords are for fighting,

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an intriguing book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll have to look into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here on the CEP. I hope you don't mind me commenting on this review instead of the one you posted. I haven't read the series yet! It's going right on my TBR now though. Pirate and vampires? Sounds good to me! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete