Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Review: Tide of Terror (Vampirates #2) by Justin Somper

Synopsis from Goodreads:
In this sequel to Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean, there's a traitor aboard the Diablo and enemies at every turn. As the danger intensifies, Grace discovers a place where her twin brother Connor could learn more about the pirate way without risking his life: the elite Pirate Academy. Will Connor choose an education by sea or by school, and will Grace be forced to follow him wherever he goes?

Review:

Tide of Terror, the second book in the Vampirates series is a thrilling ride full a more pirates, action, adventure, betrayals, and more! For me, it was fast paced. Best of all, there was a little more about the vampirates although I would have liked to see more (and that is what the sequels are for).

Connor and Grace were together for the most part in this book, but you can see that they are destined for different paths. Connor wants to be a pirate. In fact, he excels at everything pirate related. He even has visions of being a captain in the future. Grace, on the other hand, longs for the Vampirate ship and Lorcan, her vampirate friend. That being said, she does some pretty crazy things to try to get back on the ship. From jumping into the harbor to taking "spirit journeys" to visit the ship. From Connor's visions to Grace's "spirit journeys," I am curious to discover if the twins have some sort of special powers that they are not aware of.

The only parts I didn't like were the few parts where I was like "Wow, that's lame." An example is when Connor and his friend, Jacoby, did a special handshake. I didn't think it was necessary, but then I remembered that Connor is only fourteen, so I guess it's okay.

Anyways, I can't wait to see where Justin Somper takes the story next. Tide of Terror was a fun book to read. It was a quick read that was just fun. I love the mystery the Vampirates present. I look forward to finding out more about the mysterious captain of the Vampirate ship. I want to know why he wears a mask, and who exactly is behind the mask.

Rating: 4.5/5

Swords are for fighting,

3 comments:

  1. Didn't really go for the first one, but maybe I'll have better luck with the others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow cool review -- i'd never even heard of this book.

    thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see this review, can't believe I missed a series that combines vampires and pirates. I'll definitely check this series out.

    ReplyDelete