Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Synopsis:

What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world’s most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last. Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.


Review:
All I have to say is WOW! This book is absolutely amazing. I could not put it down once I started to read it even though it is a whopping 470 pages!

Lauren Oliver is obviously an extremely talented author. I cannot believe that Before I Fall is her debut novel. Her writing is amazing. She captured the voices of teenagers perfectly, and the story was breathtaking.

I enjoyed getting inside of Sam's head, but my favorite character was Kent. I could not help but fall in love with Kent. He is an amazing guy. I loved his sense of humor and his personality. Every scene with him in it were by far my favorite.

Before I Fall is definitely a thought provoking novel. This book makes you realize how many things you take for granted in your life. We never know how much time we have left on this earth, and we do not realize that our choices make a big impact on everything around us. I'm definitely going to be reading more of Lauren Oliver's books in the future.

Reading this book is an emotional roller coaster ride. I was happy, sad, laughed, and almost cried. The ending did leave me speechless and feeling empty, but in a good way (if that makes any sense). I knew how it was going to end, but I hoped it would end differently. I hoped there was a happy ending for Sam after she fixed her life, that she could somehow change the future, but the ending was bittersweet. That being said, I did like how it ended. It takes guts to write a bittersweet ending like Lauren Oliver did, and it was genius.

Rating: 5/5

Swords are for fighting,

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a truly amazing book that I've been wanting to read for some time now. Thank you for your great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here via Blog Hop! Great review. I've heard so much about this book that I'm going to have to add it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete