Saturday, September 4, 2010

Review: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith

Synopsis:
With more than one million copies in print, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was the surprise publishing phenomenon of 2009. A best seller on three continents, PPZ has been translated into 21 languages and optioned to become a major motion picture.

In this terrifying and hilarious prequel, we witness the genesis of the zombie plague in early-nineteenth-century England. We watch Elizabeth Bennet evolve from a naïve young teenager into a savage slayer of the undead. We laugh as she begins her first clumsy training with nunchucks and katana swords and cry when her first blush with romance goes tragically awry. Written by acclaimed novelist (and Edgar Award nominee) Steve Hockensmith, Dawn of the Dreadfuls invites Austen fans to step back into Regency England, Land of the Undead!

Review:
Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and let me tell you that it was a fun read! The humor was great and the action was eventful. I loved reading about how Elizabeth Bennet grew into her zombie slaying ways. It was fun to see a sixteen year old Elizabeth Bennet along with all of her sisters learn how to fight zombies with the help of their father and Master Hawksworth.

I liked that the book started right off with some zombie action. I was never once bored while reading this book. Elizabeth has two love interests in this book: Master Hawksworth and Dr. Keckilpenny. These are so different from each other. Master Hawksworth is a young master of the warrior ways. He has perfected every warrior move. The problem? He is too much of a coward to use his expertise to attack and kill zombies. Dr. Keckilpenny, on the other hand, is a thoughtful man who probably spends too much time in his head. He is obsessed with finding a way to reverse the zombies back to their original minds. He could use his doctor skills for helping the wounded people who have been fighting zombies, but he would rather spend his time with the zombies themselves.

Both men prove to be cowards and not worthy of Elizabeth's attention. That is okay with me! They just make Mr. Darcy look that much better...like he needed to look any better.

Some fans of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice will love this book while others will hate it. I am a fan of Jane Austen, and I personally loved this book. I think people who like zombie books will like it, too. It is definitely a fun read!

Rating: 4/5

Swords are for fighting,

2 comments:

  1. I almost purchased this. I read mixed reviews about the Austen zombie books. Thanks for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really been thinking about picking this up. I've been hesitant because I wasn't as thrilled with Emma and the Vampires as most others were. I think I'll just go ahead and give in now and add it to my *to pick up to read* list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete