Thursday, September 9, 2010

Review: Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins

Synopsis:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

Review:

Mockingjay was an extraordinary end to a series. I absolutely loved it! It was completely unpredictable to me because nothing that I thought would happen did. I had no idea where Suzanne Collins was going to take Katniss in this book, which made it all the more exciting to read.

When I first received my copy of Mockingjay in the mail, I was literally shaking because I was so excited to read it! I immediately started to read it the moment it was in my hands, and I could not put it down for anything but an emergency (which is in fact why I did not read it in a day, but everything is okay now). It was definitely the most anticipated book for me this year.

Mockingjay started off in the most gruesome way with Katniss walking around District 12. It was definitely not a happy beginning, but how could it be with the way Catching Fire ended. Everyone that survived District 12 is now living in District 13, but District 13 has its own problems. In fact, it is not as great as it sounded in the previous books. I would even go as far as to say that it is as bad as the Capital. The head honcho there, Coin, may seem like she wants to overthrow the Capital to get rid of President Snow's horrible ways, but I think that she is as bad as Snow. She likes power, and power is what she wants.

President Snow is probably one of the most evil villains I have ever read about in a book.He enjoys messing with Katniss' head, so he is still as evil as ever in Mockingjay. One detail I was looking forward to was why Snow's breathe smells like blood. The reason was fascinating and further displays Snow's evilness. I would have never guessed it.

I felt really bad for Peeta in this book. What happened to him was horrible. It was awful to read about, especially when Peeta was always such an all around good guy in the previous books. I would never wish it on anybody, but it further shows what Snow and the Capital are capable of.

It seems like many of the characters changed in Mockingjay, but with what they have gone through it is understandable. Katniss and Finnick are both mentally unstable. Katniss constantly pushes away everyone who loves her and wants to help her. Gale really opens up in this book, and I discovered that Katniss and Gale are extremely similar to each other especially when it comes to violence and anger. I like how Gale is extremely observant of Katniss and how they can speak to each other without actually talking. They know each other so well, but I think that is because they are so alike.

From the beginning, I kept thinking who is going to die in this book. Believe me when I say, many people do. Some of the deaths definitely hurt. There were so many deaths in this book, and some of them were extremely sad and had me on the verge of tears.

Mockingjay was a superb book. I loved everything about it. It was definitely an addicting page turner that I could not put down. I would plan on reading only one more chapter, but ended up reading three more before I even realized it. Suzanne Collins is an amazingly talented writer. The way she writes had me on the edge of my seat while I read. It was so exciting and unpredictable with a few OMG! moments.

Rating: 5/5

Links to my reviews of the rest of the books in the Hunger Games series:

1. The Hunger Games

2. Catching Fire

Swords are for fighting,

4 comments:

  1. I didn't like this last one as much as I did the previous two. It was still great though. Terrific review. :)
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a great conclusion to the story. I've seen a lot of reviews where people were really disappointed in what Katniss did, or didn't do, but I really felt like Collins did an excellent job of showing what war does to individuals and to a nation. Hunger Games is still my favorite in the series but I thought this was an excellent conclusion! Glad you enjoyed it!

    Here via CEP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved this one. I agree, its the perfect finish to the series. The flaws that existed in book 1 are still here, but it feels right, if that makes any sense. I actually put up my fantasy cast two days after it came out, I just couldn't contain myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew. I'm so glad that you loved it was much as I did. I thought that it was brilliant. I absolutely love the entire series. Thanks for sharing your positive thoughts...There are so many negative reviews out there! I couldn't even believe that people had that response. Maybe they'll reread and come to our side...

    Here from the CEP.

    ReplyDelete