Saturday, August 14, 2010

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Synopsis:

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Review:

The Hunger Games is definitely one of my favorite books. Every time I read it, I am sucked into this dystopian world that Suzanne Collins has created. I just love the way that she writes. As one chapter ends, I find myself starting the next chapter even though I promised myself I would read only one more chapter and then get back to the real world.

The main character, Katniss, is amazing. I love that she is a strong, independent girl who is smart and has great survival instincts. After her father died, she even took it upon herself to take care of her family by hunting for food even though it is illegal. She loves her little sister, Prim, more than anything, and she does everything in her power to protect her even when it involves risking her own life. The only reason she becomes a contender in the 74th annual Hunger Games is because she took her sister's place. The Capitol is horrible to force 12 girls and 12 boys to fight to the death in the Hunger Games! It takes reality TV to a whole new level. I could not even imagine having to watch these games each year. The violence that Katniss had to witness and live through is horrendous, but it does make for a great book.

The Hunger Games is the type of book that stays with you long after you finish reading it. It is such an exciting story full of action, adventure, and violence. There are some parts that are so suspenseful that the story will have you on the edge of your seat devouring the pages to discover what happens next. The story makes you think about what you would do if you had to live in a world like that. The ending always leaves me wanting more, so I cannot stop myself from immediately picking up Catching Fire to read. It is no surprise that this book is a quick read and an addicting series. I definitely recommend reading it.

Rating: 5/5

I am reviewing this book as a part of Dystopian August over at Presenting Lenore:


Swords are for fighting,

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!! I'm really really glad you liked it. It's one of my fave books too and I'll always remember it. I even read a couple of fanfics for this one. Gosh, how excited I am for Mockingjay! I can barely suppress my squeal! Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait to read more. One of my favorite reads of the summer!

    ReplyDelete