Saturday, November 6, 2010

Review: Torment (Fallen #2) by Lauren Kate

Synopsis:
How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for? In the aftermath of what happened at Sword & Cross, Luce has been hidden away by her cursed angelic boyfriend, Daniel, in a new school filled with Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. Daniel promises she will be safe here, protected from those who would kill her. At the school Luce discovers what the Shadows that have followed her all her life mean - and how to manipulate them to see into her other lives. Yet the more Luce learns about herself, the more she realizes that the past is her only key to unlocking her future...and that Daniel hasn't told her everything. What if his version of the past isn't actually the way things happened...what if Luce was really meant to be with someone else?

Review:
Let me start off by saying that the cover is gorgeous! I mean, look at it. I wish I had that dress!

When I first picked up Torment, I honestly could not remember what happened in Fallen, so I had to go back and read my review to remember. I think it had to do with me being so tired that I was forgetting the plots of books I really did enjoy.

Torment has a bunch of new characters hanging out with Luce. Luce finds friends in her roommate, Shelby, and Miles. I really liked Shelby. She may appear to be tough and hard to get along with, but I enjoyed her sense of humor. Miles seems to be a nice guy although I did have my doubts about him at first. He eventually charmed me, though.

Most of this book seemed to be about Luce finding out about her past lives by using the ominous shadows that have lurked around her all her life. I liked that this book gave more insight to the shadows. I found it all very interesting. I also really liked Cam and Daniel working together. I like it when they are not fighting with each other. They are just so much more likable.

There were a few shockers throughout the book particularly involving Luce's hair. I know she wanted a change, but why did she do that! Another shocker was that Daniel and Shelby had a thing?! What?! Did I miss something? Or was she lying? That big reveal just confused me.

What surprised me the most about Torment was how much Daniel bugged me. I know he has Luce's best interests at heart, but does he have to act the way he does? I hate when he acts all powerful and controlling over Luce by giving her rules to follow and telling her not to disobey him like he owns her. It really drove me nuts! Besides that, all Daniel seemed to do was appear wherever Luce was, say he should not be here, and leave. It was kind of annoying.

Besides that, I really enjoyed this book. The ending was awesome! I loved it! I definitely think Luce made the right decision at the end, but I want to know what happens next. It is going to be a long wait until the next book is released.

Rating: 3.5/5

Swords are for fighting,

3 comments:

  1. Hair? Interesting. I can't wait to see what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I loved Fallen. I haven't decided whether I will continue on with Torment or not yet but thanks for the review! Gives me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one better than Fallen, but the suspense thing really annoyed me in the end, just a teeny bit more information revealed and I would have been completely satisfied. Every time Daniel popped in and then took off without adding any more information just made me want to punch my book :-)

    ReplyDelete