Monday, January 17, 2011

Review: The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia #7) by C.S. Lewis

Synopsis:
Many Narnian years have passed since Eustace and Jill helped ensure the Royal line. But when they are jerked back violently into this strangest of lands they find the present King in danger and Narnia facing its darkest hour. With Eustace and Jill at his side, the King, the noble unicorn Jewel and a few remaining loyal subjects must stand fast against the powers of evil and darkness and fight the Last Battle to decide the future of this once glorious kingdom.

Review:
The Last Battle is an amazing ending to a wonderful series. Yes, it was sad at times, but I thought it was the perfect way to finish it up. It starts off with an ape named Shift along with his donkey "friend" named Puzzle finding a lion skin. Shift then starts formulating a plan that involves Puzzle wearing the lion skin and pretending to be Aslan. I really did not like Shift, but that was the point. He was a horrible ape who was extremely annoying and arrogant. He ends up helping the Calormenes take over Narnia, which is horrible!

King Tirian is captured, so he ends up getting help from Eustace and Jill. I like Eustace and Jill in this book the most probably because they are a bit older and more mature. There are many deaths in this book from the battle. Unfortunately or fortunately (depends how you look at it) Narnia comes to its end, but the good news is the characters get to go to Aslan's Country AKA Heaven.

What I loved about this book was that all of my favorite characters from the previous books make an appearance. I did not realize how much I missed them until they reappeared. There are a few new characters that I ended up loving. One of them being Jewel the unicorn. Jewel is such a devoted friend to King Tirian and a great addition to the world of Narnia. The saddest part of this book for me was finding out that Susan does not believe in Narnia any more. Still, this is probably one of favorites of the Chronicles of Narnia.

Like I said, The Last Battle is the perfect book to end the Chronicles of Narnia. If you have not read this series, you must! It does have a few sad parts, but I liked the way it ended. I am so glad I took the time to read this series. It was definitely worth it because it is so beautiful! Narnia is a world that everyone should explore at least once. It is such a beautiful place, and I kind of wish I could live there.

Rating: 5/5

Swords are for fighting,

1 comment:

  1. I loved this series too and recently enjoyed the Dawn Treader movie at the theater. They did a nice job on it, better than I could have hoped for.

    ReplyDelete