Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia #2) by C.S. Lewis

Synopsis:
The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, completed in the winter of 1949 & published in 1950, tells the story of four ordinary children: Peter, Susan, Edmund & Lucy Pevensie. They discover a wardrobe in Prof. Digory Kirke's house that leads to the magical land of Narnia, which is currently under the spell of a witch. The four children fulfill an ancient, mysterious prophecy while in Narnia. The Pevensie children help Aslan (the Turkish word for lion) & his army save Narnia from the evil White Witch, who's reigned over the Narnia in winter for 100 years.

Review:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a classic tale like no other. The story follows Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy as they plunge into the world of Narnia. Digory from The Magician's Nephew makes an appearance, but he is now known as Professor Kirke. Of course, the White Witch also reappears as does Aslan. If you have read The Magician's Nephew you know how the wardrobe came to be.

The Pevensie's are great characters. I actually liked them more than the characters in the previous book. Edmund did annoy me at times, but I think he was supposed to be like that since he did betray his siblings. Great story from beginning to end.

I thought The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was a fun book to read. There is a lot of symbolism in this book that relates to Christianity. I think people of all ages enjoy this book, so if you have not read it, I recommend you do.

Rating: 5/5

Swords are for fighting,

3 comments:

  1. I read this book when I was in the fourth grade, and loved it so much it inspired me to read more. I think that's why I read so much now. :-)

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Chronicles of Narnia in high school when I had wanted to catch up with books everyone reads during childhood that I had never read.

    I am so glad you enjoyed Narnia, I liked it too, except for the last book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book in fourth grade and then again in high school to check out the symbolism. Of course, I think I probably need to read them again so I can watch the movies (can't break my rule of reading the book first)...

    ReplyDelete