Thursday, June 3, 2010

Review: Black Heart (Vampirates #4) by Justin Somper

Synopsis:



There's a new ship of vampirates roaming the seas, leaving a trail of fear and devastation in its wake. When a high-profile pirate is slain, the Pirate Federation takes decisive action and begins training up a ship of dedicated vampire hunters. The team will be led by newly appointed Captain, Cheng Li and will include pirate prodigy Connor Tempest.

Meanwhile, Connor's twin sister Grace enjoys a bittersweet reunion with their mother. Sally Tempest has some important and shocking news that will leave the twins facing a very uncertain future.

Review:


The fourth installment in the Vampirates series is just as good if not better than the previous book. This book is mainly about self-discovery for Connor and Grace, but mainly Grace because Connor is not yet ready to accept who he is. Grace, on the other hand, is completely ready to embrace who and what she is. Since the beginning of the series, Grace has always known where she belongs, and Black Heart only confirms this more. Connor, on the other hand, seems to have doubts where he wants to be. He knows he wants to be a pirate, but he does not know what type of pirate he wants to be. That is why he decides to join Cheng Li's crew.

I really enjoyed the little twist about the twins' past. I would not call it shocking because I kind of saw it coming. I also like Somper's take on vampires. I do not want to give anything away, but there is a certain ritual mentioned in the book that I thought was very original.

I found the "bad" vampirates, Jez and Johnny, to be really interesting. I do not think they are completely evil, so I am definitely curious where their paths will lead. The main villian, Sidorio, seems to have lost his touch, and he is not as evil as he used to be. I found him to have gone soft.

Like the other books, Black Heart does have a cliffhanger ending. I really want to know what will happen next. There are so many questions that have been left unanswered, so I am looking forward to reading the next book when it is released later this year.

Rating: 4.5/5


Swords are for fighting,

2 comments:

  1. argh, glad to hear the series continue to be a good one. definitely on my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have HI- FRUCTOSE & BLACKHEARTS marked for our movie...
    Kansas Kings.

    ReplyDelete