Monday, June 21, 2010

Review: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Synopsis:
She can whisper to horses and communicate with birds, but the crown princess Ani has a difficult time finding her place in the royal family and measuring up to her imperial mother. When she is shipped off to a neighboring kingdom as a bride, her scheming entourage mounts a bloody mutiny to replace her with a jealous lady-in-waiting, Selia, and to allow an inner circle of guards more power in the new land. Barely escaping with her life, Ani disguises herself as a goose girl and wanders on the royal estate. Does she have the pluck to reclaim her rightful place? Get ready for a fine adventure tale full of danger, suspense, surprising twists, and a satisfying conclusion. The engaging plot can certainly carry the tale, but Hale's likable, introspective heroine makes this also a book about courage and justice in the face of overwhelming odds. The richly rendered, medieval folkloric setting adds to the charm.


Review:

The Goose Girl was an amazing story. I love Shannon Hale's take on this fairy tale. It was definitely original and creative. The world of Bayern that she created was fantastic with its mythical feel. I definitely would not mind living in that world! I also enjoyed that a map was included in the beginning of the book, so the reader can follow Ani's journey.

When it came to the plot, I found it to be predictable. I knew pretty much exactly what was going to happen before it did. Nevertheless, this did not bother me. I still really enjoyed reading this book. There was one part that had me on the verge of tears because it was so sad, but everything works out in the end.

The Goose Girl is full of adventure and suspense. It was definitely a fun read that sucked me right in. It kind of reminded me of Graceling by Kristin Cashore in some ways especially the parts where Ani was in the forest. It is a the first book in Shannon Hale's The Books of Bayern Series, so I am looking forward to reading the rest of her books.

Rating: 4.5/5

Swords are for fighting,

11 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite reads! Hale really knows how to craft a fantasy. I am glad you enjoyed it too!

    P.S. I have no idea how I wasn't following you already, but I am now. *epic fail*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like fairy tale retellings and will have to check this book out of my HS Media Center when I get back to work. I have only a couple of her books in my personal library - Rapunzel's Revenge and Book of a Thousand Days. I understand she has written a number of books about Bayern. I'll have to look for them. Do you follow her blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Book of a Thousand Days? That one was amazing and unpredictable :)

    Great review. I must try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kathy: No, I do not think I follow her blog. I will have to find it!

    @Juju: I have not read Book of a Thousand Days, but I will definitely add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though it was predictable it still seems pretty good. The cover is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing a lot of fairytale retellings pop up lately and I have no problem with that. I'm looking forward to reading some of them!

    Here from CEP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this book, which has been a round for several years. My favorite from the Baeryn series is definitely Enna Burning. I love the romance between Enna and Finn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fun read, I'll have to check it out. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I completely agree with your review! I loved this book so much I bought a copy, gave it to a friend then bought another copy :). Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a fun read, I think I might have to check out my library for a copy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with the book. Makes me want to read it too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete