Monday, June 14, 2010

Review: Looking For Alaska by John Green

Synopsis:

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave "the Great Perhaps" even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.


Review:

Looking for Alaska is an amazing story. For me, it was the kind of book that stayed with me long after I finished it. In fact, I still think about it from time to time. This book just gives you a lot to think about: life, death, and everything in between.

The characters were spectacular. Pudge, the narrator, is obsessed with people's last words, which I found extremely interesting. It was fun to read some of the last words of some famous people that I have heard of (and others that I have not). The Colonel, Pudge's good friend and roommate, provided some sarcastic humor, which I greatly enjoyed. Alaska is like a tragic hurricane. That is the only way I can think to explain her. Her personality is quirky and interesting, but she is like a hurricane in that she is all over the place. I do not want to give too much away, so I just recommend reading it.

This is the first book I have read by John Green, and I can now say I am a fan. Looking for Alaska is beautifully written. I loved the descriptions that John Green used and there was never a dull moment. There was happiness, sadness, anger, disappointment, frustration, confusion, self-discovery....Honestly, this book was a roller coaster full of emotions for the characters and I was right there along for the ride. Everything that happened felt so realistic to me like I could see this happening in reality.

I would recommend this book to anyone. There are some touchy subjects like alcohol, sex, suffering, and death, but anyone mature enough should definitely read this book.


Rating: 5/5


Swords are for fighting,

8 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm here via YA Addict!

    I have yet to read a John Green novel, which is terrible of me, but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this one!

    Also, it's nice to find another blog I like to add to my reader. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Juju and vorvolaka-reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been years since I've read this book, and after reading your review I really want to reread it! Thanks for that, and wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa amazing review! I'm actually reading this one right now and I'm loving it. It's my first John Green as well (:

    Btw here from the CEP. I'm glad I found your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great, detailed review! Looking for Alaska is the only book I've read by John Green I think! And it was great =)

    Here from the CEP by the way! Great blog! =)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. @The Library Lurker: I'm glad I inspired you to want to read this wonderful book again.

    Thanks Sara and ReggieWrites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really detailed and intriguing review! Thanks for sharing through Read My Review.

    ReplyDelete